Philosophical musings on a diverse variety of subjects.

"Chenango" is an old Indian word allegedly meaning "land of the bullthistle. Or so the traditional story has it. The bullthistle (Cirsium vulgare) is not native to North America; it was probably brought over from Europe. Nevertheless, we in Chenango County, New York, use it as our county logo. I am a Bullthistle Birder, a Bullthistle Botanizer, and a Bullthistle Hiker. With this blog I am now a Bullthistle Blogger.
For posts specific to Chenango County click these links.



Thursday, October 5, 2017

MY YEAR


MY YEAR

Donald A. Windsor

A calendar year is analogous to life itself. It starts out rough, but full of hope, and it ends in a crescendo of gloom, worry, and despair. Along the way it celebrates the exciting joys of youth in spring, the smug satisfactions of adulthood in summer, and the apprehensive exhilaration of maturity in fall.

As I advance in age (83) and approach my own reluctant demise, I currently see myself dwelling in the waning days of November. Almost all flowers have quit blooming; darkness is triumphing over daylight; the headwinds seem to blow ever harder and colder, and I become weaker and weaker.

Here is my personal year, the calendar superimposed atop pivotal points in my autobiography. I travel through this cycle every year and find it to be very therapeutic.

At sunrise on the day after the winter solstice, I am conceived.
On Epiphany I am born.

On Groundhog Day I start grade school.
On the vernal equinox I start high school.
On May Day I become a soldier.

On the summer solstice I become a research biologist.
On the autumnal equinox I become an employed family man, fathering four children.

On Labor Day I retire from employment.

On Halloween I become a grandfather.

On Thanksgiving I have a heart attack and undergo life-extending surgery.

At sunset on the winter solstice, I die.

======